When designing an e-commerce store, you should be focussing on one thing and one thing only: sales conversions. You want to try and minimize the time between when the user first lands on your site to where they make their first purchase.
Your design, structure and entire application flow should be goal based from the start.
Critical to a successful online store are some of the following elements:
- Users immediately need to know that the site they’re on is a STORE.
- Navigation needs to be consistent, clear and uncluttered.
- The design should emphasize the products you are selling.
- Shoppers tend to buy popular brands, ensure that you feature those prominently.
- Easy to use & straightforward checkout procedure, less steps = more conversions.
- Comprehensive product information and photo’s.
- The ability to search thoroughly.
- Customizable ways for users to browse your catalogue. ie. tags, categories, related products, trends, brands and highly recommended products.
Here’s a list of a few stores that get “e-commerce”.
Bored of South Sea
Ride Four Ever
Mia & Maggie
Apple Online Store
Princess Fashion House
A Better Tomorrow
Friends With You
Red Velvet Art
Wire & Twine
If you have an online store, feel free to add it to the comments – we would love to see it.